If you truly care about your spouse, you have to act like it. Here are some of the most common marriage mistakes couples make:
1. Screaming. There is absolutely no justification for yelling at your spouse. If you’re upset about something, count to 15, and then calmly express yourself.
2. Ignoring. If you’re actually too upset to talk, just say, “I’m not ignoring you. I just need to take a little time-out to pull myself together, and then I’ll be good to go.”
3. Trying to agree on everything. Coming to a complete consensus on every issue is not going to happen. If you have a difference of opinion, ask yourselves who cares more or is impacted the most. Then let that person make the decision and take the responsibility. However, if you’re not willing to accept the responsibility for something, you can’t bitch about it later.
4. Making assumptions. Don’t assume anything! If you want to know something, ASK.
5. Not communicating. A lot of problems can be avoided if you simply talk to each other. For example:
“I’d really appreciate it if you would…”
“I was disappointed that this didn’t happen. Can we talk about it?”
6. Lying. If you ever think, “Boy, I hope my spouse never finds out about this,” then don’t do it.
7. Not making your spouse a priority. Your spouse needs to be adored and appreciated, and given affection, attention, and compliments. Get your pride and ego out of the way, and stop dwelling on what you should be getting.