- Talk back to the little voice in your head. When you start badmouthing yourself, have the strength to be louder. Tell yourself, "I may be off my game, but I am NOT dumb, fat, ugly, or unlovable."
- Don't blow things out of proportion. Don't take a small kernel of reasonable doubt and make it apocalyptic.
- Find out where your inner critic is coming from. Most of the time, your inner critic comes from one of your parents. They could be dead for years, but you still have them in your head telling you that you're not good enough.
- Stand up for yourself. There are times to walk away, and there are times to take care of business. Pulling in your head like a frightened turtle will not make you feel better.
- Remember, everyone makes mistakes and has imperfections. You may be standing there feeling stupid about something you said or did, but chances are, you are the only one thinking about it. In fact, they are all probably wondering the same thing about themselves.