When I was little, I was brought up with stories like George Washington chopping down the cherry tree and "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." But nowadays, the new cultural norm is no morality. Our kids are growing up in an atmosphere where you can lie and be promiscuous and still be president (i.e. Clinton), and the words "'til death do us part" don't mean much anymore. The problem is, young people are going with that flow and then ending up depressed when they realize that nobody gives a damn about them with their clothes on.
Believe it or not, promiscuity actually does have some good points attached to it:
- Nobody can control you if you go through sexual partners like hairdos.
- Nobody can hurt you or let you down if you don't stay around long enough to let them.
- You don't owe anybody anything.
- You're not responsible to anyone.
That's why so many college girls these days are hooking up. If your career is the most important thing, then the concepts of love, marriage and kids must not matter.
Unfortunately, these so-called "benefits" come at a very high cost to your physical and mental health:
- Increased possibility of sexually transmitted diseases, cervical and oral cancer, and unwanted pregnancy.
- Violence and abuse. A lot of men have equal disrespect for women who have little respect for themselves.
- Depression. Promiscuity can be a symptom of depression, but it also causes it.
- Psychological and emotional trauma. The feeling of being wanted in the moment is followed by feelings of worthlessness. After a while of waking up in the morning not knowing where you are and who you are with, you feel lost.
- Making riskier choices. Similar to alcohol or any other drug, once the buzz goes away, you need to do it again or even escalate the dose.