Ladies, listen up! Do you want to know the fastest ways to deep-six your marriage? Look no further…
1. You look like crap. You don’t fix your hair, put on makeup, or care about how you look. You didn’t do that when you were trying to get him to love you, so don’t pull a bait and switch. You don’t need to dress like you’re going to a ball, but when he comes home to see you at the end of a long day, he should look forward to that.
2. You can’t get your face out of your electronics. Put away your smartphone, tablet, or computer, and pay attention to your spouse.
3. You don’t listen. You talk over him, interrupt him, or say you don’t like his tone or what he has to say. If you say it enough times, he’s going to be too afraid to talk to you anymore, and then you’ll bitch about how he’s non-communicative.
4. You’re stingy with hugs and kisses. Men love hugs and kisses. If you greet your husband at the door with a hug and kiss, he’ll look forward to coming home to you.
5. You badmouth him to your friends. Every time you’re annoyed about some small thing he did, you talk about him behind his back. Remember, everybody has shortcomings and stupid moments.
6. You get mad because he’s not making enough plans. If you say, “Thursday, let’s go out to dinner, see a movie, and neck in the back of the car,” it’s the “yes” that matters. Guys are not necessarily in tune for setting this stuff up, and women are typically the social directors in families.
7. You no longer make him a priority. You put your pet or your 13 friends first and ignore him. Then you call me and wonder why he’s having an emotional affair. Well, it’s because he was hungry and you didn’t feed him. Is he really supposed to sit there like an idiot year after year because you’re too busy for him? Really?!
8. You don’t acknowledge the good stuff he does. As someone once told me, harping should be limited to musical instruments. A constant onslaught of complaints and demands doesn’t motivate - it only irritates.
9. You don’t remember why you married him in the first place. He can still have all those qualities if you don’t squash his motivation to show them.
10. You haven’t read my book, The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands. If you read it and apply what I have to say, within 24 hours your marriage will be happier and healthier.